Sunday, September 10, 2006

Marinelli's post game interview (as transcribed by the nice guys in PR at Ford FIeld)

HEAD COACH ROD MARINELLI:Opening statement: "We played a very hard, tough football team. We tried to match them physically and I thought we did. It's not good enough - right off the bat. I'm not interested in playing hard and well, I'm interested in winning. We didn't do enough. We beat ourselves- we had penalties; they had penalties and we've got to take care of the ball. All the detailed things we have to do and get better at. This is about team still - offense, defense - all three phases. That's what I'm going to teach and that's what I believe in - there are no options; there's no solution other than winning - that's it. I won't accept anything less - anything less - so you can write that we played hard, I don't care; that's not an interest to me. That's you're interest, my interest is winning and that's something we have to work at and continue to understand that we have to finish games and do things exactly right - all the time."

On what happened in the last drive with the game on the line: "Execution on their part, I give them credit. They completed a couple of passes, they popped a run in there, they had a run they popped on the back-side, cut-back and we got to be in position to make those plays and that's what I'm talking about. At the end, I want to win it and that's what I expect."

On if he thought they played hard and well on the defense: "Yeah, I think we did; but, I want more than that. We've got to be able to together as a team come out and win this thing."

On K Jason Hanson short on the field goal: "It might have been, I couldn't tell if it was tipped or not too. It might have been tipped a little bit. At that point, I just felt we were playing defense - we were playing dominate defense at that point - so, I was hoping to back them up again and get a three-and-out and hopefully get another shot at a short field and maybe run in it and win it."

On why the offense struggled so much in getting into the end zone: "I think there were times that we just kind of self-destructed. You know? We beat ourselves. Penalties hurt us and holding, communication things, we just beat ourselves. That's something we just can't do - good football teams don't beat themselves."

On if he felt they didn't maximize on several offensive opportunities: "Yeah, you know we didn't. We had some real good opportunities early and that's something a good football team - which we're going to be - has got to do. They have to do those things well."

On the pass to the back side of RB Shawn Bryson: "I couldn't - some of these things I'll be able to help on Monday a little bit more when I see the film and see it all. Right now, I wouldn't do your question justice; I'll do a better job (Monday) for you."

On the performance of the defensive line: "I thought they played well. I thought they played well."

On having any concerns for DT Shaun Rogers going in: "No I didn't. He had two really great days of practice in pads - he did. I mentioned that to you the other day. I'll be very honest, I've coached some of the best that ever played the position, I think he's as good as any I've ever been around. The guy can take a game over. He played hard from snap to whistle all the way through the game; but, he's just got to maybe one more step, one more thing, one more sack and that's what you have to do. I tried to play it a close game at the end, and tried to put it in the hands of our defense and see if we could win it there."

On if the offense showed what they were 'hiding' in the preseason and if he paid the price for not running everything he wanted to run: "No, you run everything in practice. We were going to run our base offense since last March. Doing the things that we do - or whenever our first minicamp was, but I don't think so. There are no excuses, there's none. What you got to do when you come under pressure in a game, you have to put the pressure on the men to perform. There are no excuses. I'm not going to do that. Plays are called; we got to execute, we have to do what we're supposed to do."

On if he feels it was a bad start to the season: "Bad start - we're 0-1."

On how he feels about taking the field as a head coach for the first time: "Oh I love it - I just love it - I love competing. I thrive on the competition, I thrive on this stuff. To see men wanting to get excited - that's what I'm about. The competition and competing and playing every snap - you just got to win though. The challenge is the winning."

On his impression of the fans: "I think they're great. Great fans, it's a great city, great town. We just have to go do our job and win."

On LB Ernie Sims playing in his first pro game: "It seemed like he was showing up a lot - my eyes were really glued to the front today - I had to be on those guys; but, I felt him, I really felt him in the game. It looked like he was flying."

No comments: