Saturday, February 03, 2007

Former Lion Charlie Sanders gets HOF ticket

 

Former Lions tight end Charlie Sanders has been elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2007. The following is a transcript of Sanders' comments from the Hall of Fame Press Conference in Miami.

For information on Sanders' Hall of Fame career, click here.

CHARLIE SANDERS HALL OF FAME PRESS CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPTS
Opening statement:
"Thank you to the Senior Committee. You guys have been tremendous. I really thank you for all of your support. The Ford (family), the Detroit Lions organization, (they) have been tremendous. There are very few people that can stand here in this position I'm in today and say that they've spent half of their life with the same organization and then be presented with such a great honor. That's what the Ford (family) and that's what the Detroit Lions organization means to me. I would like to express my tremendous thanks to the Ford family and the Detroit Lions organization. To the fans of Detroit, the greatest fans – in my opinion – in the NFL. We're not there yet, but we'll get there and just as you've supported me through all my years, my family, I know that you're going to continue to support the Detroit Lions.

"It's been a journey. The last few days have been very nerve-racking. Not only for me, but for my family and I know for a lot of my friends – especially being in the business that involves the NFL. There are a lot of supporters that are close to the game, so you kind of carry that extra burden of hopefully not disappointing them. God knows this is a blessing, not only for me, but for my family (and) the city. I want to again thank everybody that had anything to do with me standing here today and to those who were not as fortunate as me, by no means does it have any implication on your ability or your desire to go out and compete in the greatest sport in the world. To you I say: hang in there. To you I say: be patient. To you I say: I'm pulling and I'm hoping for you. Again, thank you all."

No comments: